This week, our theme over at Sunday Supper was tantalizing trays – and it couldn’t have come at a better time!
On my blog this week, I have been focusing on Back to School with a different Back to School topic being discussed each day and today is all about healthy snacks!
At my daughter’s school, the parents provide the snacks for all the kiddos so we are always looking for new ways to introduce proteins to the slightly older kids and this was one of my eldest daughter, Mei’s ideas! Salad on a celery stick! Usually for the snack, we provide a protein, a vegetable, a fruit and a starch (ie. crackers) and the protein is almost always cheese. I’m not sure why cubed ham or turkey or something like that is avoided since we don’t have any vegetarian or vegan children in our classes, but it just seems that cheese is the crowd-pleaser amongst our classes of 2 & 3 year olds – not really shocking.
But this one was fun and Mei got to help make most of it, so automatically it’s a win-win for us! This will be appearing on the snack table on Mei’s first day of school next Wednesday! For a more adult version, feel free to sprinkle in some curry powder or, if you are like my husband, douse it with sriracha sauce and a perfectly light summer snack!
For the sails, we chose to use parsley leaves for the sails but you could put a couple peas (sailors) or pieces of shaved parmesan for the sails, or something else if you like. It’s really up to your imagination! I will add though, we loved the bit of fresh, herb-y flavor that the parsley gave to the tuna salad! And the bell pepper? It gives a lovely flavor and adds the same crunch as a cucumber would without the excess liquid.
INGREDIENTS for Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats:
- one bunch of celery, each stalk cut into two inch sections – discarding wide bottoms and celery leaves, if preferred
- two, 5-6 oz cans of chunk tuna in water, drained
- 1/2 tsp of mustard, or more to taste
- 2 tsp mayonnaise, or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 small bell pepper, finely diced
- parsley leaves for garnish/decoration (the sails!)
In a small bowl, mix the tuna together with the mustard and mayonnaise until thoroughly combined.
Season the tuna mixture with salt, pepper and onion powder, to taste. Add the diced bell pepper, stirring well.
Use a small fork to scoop up the tuna salad into the celery ribs, press one parsley leaf into the centers, for the sails and arrange on a tray so that they sit (relatively) upright.
Cover with plastic wrap and keep chilled until ready to serve!
Don’t forget to check out some other awesome tray-worthy bites from all my fellow Sunday Supper family contributors!
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.