Hello Sunday Supper peeps! I’m Alice and I blog …. well, right here! I’m very excited to join the ranks of Sunday Supper after a bit of gentle encouragement from other Sunday Supper-ers and to share with you, my Picnic Orzo Salad recipe!
This is a very simple and easy orzo salad recipe- my two daughters, Mei (3, left) and Emily (2, right) love this one because they get to pick a couple fresh veggies at the farmer’s market to go in the salad and picked a few from our garden and they thoroughly enjoyed eating their contributions to said salad. But then again, they are just both NUTS for their veggies – so this wasn’t a hard sell.
Our family enjoyed this one for about four days before it was completely devoured – it made for a quick breakfast, on the go – especially if you put it in a mason jar! But also a lovely stand alone salad for lunch time and a great side dish for a hot dog dinner, which for summertime is a must!
If you aren’t a fan of basil or cilantro, try using mint, thyme, rosemary or anything else you like – the best part is that all the citrus juices and herbs meld together and create a crisp, refreshing salad perfect for a hot summer’s eve!
INGREDIENTS for PICNIC ORZO SALAD: yields 15-20 servings
- 1/2 lb of orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb of grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1/3 of a large red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 C fresh basil, chopped coarsely
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded & diced
for the Dressing:
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest & juice of one lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 TBS granulated white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
First, cook the pasta according to box directions for an al dente pasta, drain and cool in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, carrot, cucumber, red onion, cilantro and basil to the cooled pasta. Mix the dressing ingredients in a Tupperware container or mason jar, large enough to hold all the ingredients. Close the Tupperware or jar securely then shake vigorously for several minutes until the sugar has mostly dissolved into the olive oil and all the ingredients have emulsified together. Dice the avocado and scatter it over the rest of the salad in the bowl, pour the prepared dressing over the diced avocado, ensuring that some of the dressing reaches each piece of avocado. Then stir the orzo salad together with a wooden spoon until all the bits of orzo and veggies are evenly coated in the dressing. Cover and chill for at least one hour before serving.
The Sunday Supper Family is in love with getting our families outdoors and enjoying eating together, even in the heat! This week, the #SundaySupper crew is gathering together all their favorite chilled dishes for Summer with the help of our hostess this week, Alaiyo of Pescetarian Journal!
Check out everyone’s chilly choices!
- Camping Sangria from Simply Healthy Family
- Kid Friendly Pina Colada from Soni’s Food
- Mocha Madness Milkshake from Desserts Required
- Orange Papaya Smoothie from Basic ‘n Delicious
- Salt Savory Greek Yogurt Lassi from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Skinny Watermelon Mojito from Peanut Butter & Peppers
- Southern Sweet Tea from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Mango White Sangria from The Texan New Yorker
- The Polar Cap Drink from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vanilla Root Beer Cream Soda from Feed Me, Seymour
- Avocado Hummus Dip from Shockingly Delicious
- Chilled Beet Soup (Chlodnik) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chilled Cucumber-Buttermilk Soup from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gazpacho from Jelly Toast
- Green Gazpacho from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Bak Kwa (Grilled Chili Pork Jerky) from Food Lust People Love
- Rabarbersuppe Med Vin (Danish Rhubarb Wine Soup from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mexican Flag Guacamole from What Smells So Good?
- White Gazpacho from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Snappy Salads and Sides
- Antipasto Tortellini Pasta Salad from Neighborfood
- Broccoli Salad from Flavor Mosaic
- Cold Peanut Noodles from girlichef
- Greek Orzo Salad from Casa de Crews
- Korean Salad from Noshing With The Nolands
- Layered Salad from Delaware Girl Eats
- One-Hour Pretzel Bites from Mess Makes Food
- Pesto Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
- Picnic Orzo Salad from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Red, White and Blueberry Watermelon Delight from Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Spinach Salad with Curried Apple and Cashew Dressing from Peaceful Cooking
- Tortellini Pesto Salad from Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Tuna and Potato Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Quinoa Fruit Salad from Simply Gourmet
- Risotto with Melon from Confessions of A Culinary Diva
- Watermelon, Mango & Arugula Salad from Take a Bite Out of Boca
Refreshing Main Dishes
- Buffalo and Blue Cheese Chicken Salad from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad from Cookin’ Mimi
- Jalapeno Ham Salad (for sandwiches) from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Melon and Salami Sandwiches on Rye from Highlands Ranch Foodie
- Shrimp Ceviche from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Surimi Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Tuna Tartare from Kimchi Mom
- Zucchini Lasagna from Nosh My Way
- Berry Ice Cream Bomb from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cherry Cream Cheese Ice Cream from Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Pistacho Gelato from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Dairy Free Lemon Ice Cream from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lemon Curd Parfait from Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Thyme Ice Pops from Country Girl in the Village
- Mocha Latte Ice Cream from The Foodie Army Wife
- No Maker Required Berry Ice Cream from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- No-Bake Penuche Drop Cookies from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- No-Bake Raspberry and Japanese Yuzu Citrus Bars from NinjaBaking.com
- Olive Oil Gelato from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Pluot Ice Cream from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Raspberries and Cream Panna Cotta from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Salted Caramel Gelato from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwiches from The Redhead Baker
- Strawberry Yum Ice Cream from Brunch with Joy
- Trio of Fruity Ice Cream Toppings from Foxes Love Lemons
- White Chocolate Fruit Dip from Hezzi D’s Book and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.