As 2011 came to an end and 2012 began, there has been an exponential number of blog posts focused on the best or worst of 2011 and resolutions for 2012 and because this is the first year of life for my blog, I thought I would do the same.
This blog was born in May 2011 because I wanted to chronicle the recipes passing through my kitchen and pictures of all the delicious bites that I wish I could make for all my friends. In fact, one of my life goals? A dinner party every night for all of my friends, so that I can share all my favorite meals with them! … In all reality, that is probably far-fetched, but that won’t stop me from baking and cooking and sharing it at every opportunity!
I’ve had a crazy year! My husband and I began the year with the birth of our first child, a beautiful baby girl we named Mei Kiyoko Hildegarde Mizer weighing in at 5 pounds 10 ounces, in the middle of January and from there? Our year took off! My husband had to leave to work after Mei was only a couple months old due to real life world conflicts and Mei and I took her first airplane ride and trans-Atlantic trip to visit and meet the rest of her family and we filled out the rest of our summer with many adventures around England. We took Patella on daily walks, struggled to get enough sleep, ran errands and spent plenty of time with our friends and of course – LOTS of time in the kitchen! Including beginning our adventures with Dorie Greenspan. What started as a way to try a new meal once a week quickly turned into a baking and cooking obsession. My husband and I would talk about the Dorie recipe coming up for the week, eagerly awaiting the day that we would make the meal and try it for the first time, shopping for the ingredients and trying our hand at the new techniques involved in many of the recipes. It has been such a delicious journey so far and I have made many great friends on this path. I can’t wait for a full year of Dorie recipes!
Many of my blog readers and followers have had the privilege to see little Mei grow and change since I began our blog in May until now, just a couple weeks away from her first birthday! It has been a great year, filled with many delicious bites and adventures and the next year promises quite a few adventures and surprises -including baby number two! He or she is due in late July 2012, so there will be plenty of new adventures to look forward to! Already the adventures have begun, my blog has struggled a bit as we have been making our way through the first trimester and enjoying our time together as a family reunited all over again. We can’t wait to see how 2012 pans out!
First up? Resolutions!
Reach my goal of 365 recipes posted on this blog by the date of my blog-oversary in May 2012. Finish and publish my recipe index! This should make things much easier to find on my blog!
- Work on the infamous lemon bar. I have got the lemon curd recipe, but the shortbread crust? It needs some TLC.
Work on making and trying things in the kitchen that have previously seemed intimidating or “really hard” that I have avoided in the past. Accomplish five itemson my Unfinished Business page, including:
(a) make chocolate truffles
(b) make French macrons
(c) make hollandaise from scratch and the perfect eggs benedict
What are your 2012 resolutions?
Now? The Best Bites of 2011!
- Possibly the cutest bite! Hard boiled eggs!
- Hachis Parmentier! Shephard’s pie!
- Homemade pizza! We have it as often as possible, throwing on whatever toppings we desire!
- Madelines - these were worth every gram of flour and sugar…. and butter!
- Double Chocolate Mousse Cake. I just need to make this more often.
- Sourdough bread. I mastered the starter and made many a loaf for all my friends and family to boot! Love it!
- Mussels and homemade ciabatta!
- Cheesy bunny crackers! My homemade “goldfish crackers” but made with the tastiest European semi-hard and hard cheeses available. Simple to make and quick to be eaten, so much so that if my friends know that I will bake some we tend to get spontaneous “visitors” on our doorstep!
- You have thyroid cancer? No problem! I have the perfect, delicious morning muffin to curb your craving for baked goods!
- Rhubarb? I’m not a fan, but rhubarb vodka? YES PLEASE!! It was so easy to make and so delicious, straight out of the bottle!
- Bacon Jam. Enough said.
- Doyle. My little pet tomato that I grew from a starter plant and later ate. It was the first tomato I have ever successfully grown!
- Eggplant Parmesan. The single eggplant recipe that will convert any eggplant “hater.” It’s perfect!